The Website of PMH AtwaterOne of the internet's most comprehensive sites on the near-death phenomenon!

One of the internet's most comprehensive sites on the near-death phenomenon!

Mark - "Inside the Miracle"

Here is a case about a father by the name of Mark who refused to hear the worst about his son Kevin, who had overdosed on drugs. Unfortunately, this type of tragedy in families is all too common these days. What's different here, and why I am posting this case, is that Mark literally was "inside the miracle" that happened to Kevin. Medical people pooh-pooh miracles for the most part and turn their backs on anything that sounds "mystical." Although there is every reason to suspect that Kevin had a near-death experience during his ordeal, what happened to his father is actually the greater story. Thank you, Mark, for giving me permission to quote you. Blessings, PMH

Teresa - The Gift of the Cross

In keeping with the stated goal of this section, here is a case submitted by a woman who was deeply affected by the near-death experience of another. The woman submitting the case is Anne Marie Tobias of North Myrtle Beach, SC ~PMH

Ray - "Not a Fairy Story"

Near-death scenarios can differ greatly in imagery and feeling sense.  They can also be very difficult to integrate. Here are the two near-death states experienced by Ray: one when he was only 10 years old, the second when 16. It is important that experiencers like Ray share their episode with others, and talk especially about what happened afterward. That way everyone can have a better idea of what actually goes in with individuals who have them and how they are changed. . . and challenged. The near-death phenomenon is not a fairy story. It is a real, physical event that happens to any one of any age, anywhere.
--Dr. P.M.H.Atwater


Michellanea - "Getting Back to the Other Side"

Child experiencers of near-death states do not respond to their experience in the same manner as do adults. Children compensate; they do not integrate. For that reason, it is not unusual for a child experiencer to take 20 to 30 years or more before they begin to ask questions about what happened to them and why they have always been a little "different" from their peers. Once they "connect the dots" and recognize how their experience really did have a tremendous affect on their lives and the choices they made, they begin to open up in healthy, new ways. In my research base of 277 child experiencers, 21% attempted suicide within about eight years to get back to The Other Side. None of those I had sessions with thought they were doing anything negative or hurtful by taking such action; they just wanted to return to the bright worlds - the place of their homey home. I discuss this conundrum at length in my book, CHILDREN OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM. Micellanea's case began with an attempted suicide and included many other attempts later on. What Micellanea went through and why should inspire all of us to get the word out, educate people, about the special needs of children. Whether their experience was fun or frightening, kids could use a little extra help processing what they went through.
--Dr. P.M.H.Atwater


It is difficult to determine in Michael's case how close he was to physical death. He certainly was in the throes of a drug overdose (or suffering from a bad batch of the chemical he took). His experience was hellishžand his aftereffects genuine. Whether his was a near-death or near-death-like episode, it is inspiring to see how he chose to deal with the many challenges he had to face afterwards. Far too many people grew up in a household like he did, confused about God, and ill-prepared for life. That he used the hell he went through as a "wake-up call" to make significant changes in his life - and very much for the better - is an inspiration to all of us, and proof that hellish or distressing episodes can and often do lead to positive change.
Dr. P.M.H.Atwater

Mellen-Thomas Benedict- "Through the Light"

Mellen-Thomas Benedict's case is part of my original near-death research; a brief version of it appears in my book, BEYOND THE LIGHT. I can attest that his case is genuine and his claims about the brain tumor and the conditions of his death are true. I have met his mother and step-father, been in his and their homes, and have followed his life since - his struggles and his accomplishments - as he sought to find a way to integrate his experience into his daily life while still honoring the mission he feltžguided to fulfill. What you are about to read has a hint of mystery to it, and this is the mystery: this version of his story (which reads like an article) is actually a transcription of a tape made of ažtalk hežgavežabout a decade ago. Whoever did the transcription then put the story on the Internet for free distribution. Five different people sent it to me, so I contactedžMellen-Thomas to discuss the situation. He and I both felt it was as if the Universe, his soul, God, was saying to him. . . "It's time now to open up and share your story. You have something to say that needs to be heard." Whoever put his material on the Internet did the man a favor, actually, did all of us a favor,žand not just because his is such an interesting case (it truly is) - but because ofžhow he has matured since and what he has learned.

--Dr. P.M.H.Atwater

Lee - "Saved by a Being of Light"

I guess you've had your fill of stories about this sort of thing, but here's one more for your books:  I was just 14 days shy of my 9th birthday when I had an asthma attack during the night and a nde...

NDE and Aftermath after Suicide Attempt

This is a case from Australia that came from an attempted suicide. Note what happened afterward and how Jayne changed her way of thinking and living - even though she had a very tough time. Also note how positive her suicide episode was and what she learned from it that will certainly help anyone else contemplating suicide.

A Classic Childhood NDE by Ann Seliskar

When I was ten years old, I was nearly electrocuted and had a near death experience. I was perched on the top bar of my backyard swing set, when I lost my balance and began to fall. Immediately above my head was a 220-volt electrical wire, which I grabbed on to, to prevent my fall...
NDE Cases